CHICAGO – From all appearance, Urooj Khan from Chicago was healthy and strong. Yet the day after he went to pick up his lottery winnings he mysteriously died.
NDJ World | Published: Jan 08 2013 Horror File
Khan’s death was originally ruled the result of natural causes, but six months later authorities say Khan may have been murdered after an autopsy, requested by relatives, revealed he died from a lethal dose of Cyanide. Urooj Khan’s death has now been reclassified as a ‘homicide’.
Deaths caused by indigestion of Cyanide is pretty rare. Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina said “I’ve had one, maybe two cases out of 4500 autopsies I’ve done.”
Khan, who owned a number of dry cleaners, purchased a winning instant lottery ticket from a 7-eleven store in West Rogers Park, north Chicago, in June 2012.
He scratched off the ticket and to his surprise he’d won the $US1 million jackpot.
“I hit a million,” Khan shouted days later during an official ceremony attended by his wife, Shabana Ansari; their daughter, Jasmeen Khan; and several friends, when the lottery commission handed him a one million dollars check.
On his way home, Khan stopped at the store and give the clerk a $US100 tip.
Khan opted to take his winnings in a lump sum of just over $US600,000. After taxes, the check, issued July 19 from the state Comptroller’s Office, was about $425,000, said lottery spokesman Mike Lang.
The very next day Khan was dead.
No signs of trauma were found during an external exam and a basic toxicology screening for opiates, cocaine and carbon monoxide came back negative. Khan’s death was ruled a result of the narrowing and hardening of coronary arteries.
But by demand of a relative an autopsy was conducted on Khan’s body including a more expansive toxicology, which checked for all the major drugs, all the common prescription drugs and also included a strychnine and cyanide check, just in case something came up.
The toxicology report revealed Khan’s death was contributed to a lethal dose of cyanide.
Chicago Police Department spokeswoman Melissa Stratton confirmed the department was now investigating Khan’s death and said detectives were working closely with the Medical Examiner’s Office.
Other Top Searches:
- autopsy - cyanide poisoning - lottery winner dies - mysterious death - toxicology report - Urooj Khan
Spread the word:
|« Qantas Sued Over Rats Eating Aston Martin Car||Plane And Passengers Disappear Without A Trace »|
Your Thoughts About This Article:
More Of Your Picks:
HOLLYWOOD – The gay parade in Hollywood went without a glitch last weekend, except for one ‘minor’ incident – someone stole or borrowed one of the pink bulldogs put
ANCHORAGE – A boater in Alaska found a completely blue-colored lobster bobbing in Alaskan waters. Experts say a blue lobster is a rarity and finding a yellow colored lobster
BERLIN – 24 year old Michèle Köbke from Berlin, Germany has been snaring herself into a tight fitting corset every day for the past three years, all with the
LONDON – A badly worn teddy bear with just one eye and a damaged ear was found in a plastic bag between the lost and found objects at Bristol